FRENCH-NOBILITY-L Archives

Archiver > FRENCH-NOBILITY > 2002-10 > 1035242493

Subject: [FRENCH-NOBILITY] Marguerite Capet & Amos du Maupin (was Re: Thank you for help)
Date: 21 Oct 2002 17:21:33 -0600

Classification: Query

Message Board URL:

http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec/msg/an/et.2ADIAE/10.1.1.1.1.1

Message Board Post:

>Well, we found his name in a book that was related to our geaneology search. He was maried to Marguerite Capet. Supposedly, Capet is the name of the Capetian kings. her father is anthony capet.

Hi, Joanne.

I can't solve this mystery (this is the first I hear of an Amos du Maupin), but I can tell you the following:

Briefly, the formerly reigning royal family of France (as opposed to the formerly reigning imperial family, that is, the Bonapartes) has its beginnings with an individual named Hugues (Hugo, in English), Count of Paris, and King of France (r. 987-996). Hugues was nicknamed "Capet", which means roughly in English "clothed with a cape". Capet wasn't really Hugues's surname or patronym (surnames didn't exist at this time in history), but it became the name of his dynasty, a dynastic family name, if you will.

I have seen websites that identify princesses of the French royal family as, for example, "Marguerite Capet, Princess of France". This form is incorrect and misleading. I think the need to ascribe a family name (in this case "Capet") to a member of a royal family is because we have family names today and we take it as a matter of course that everyone has/had a family name. However, having a true family name is a relatively new practice in the course of history, and it doesn't reflect the reality of the Middle Ages when the couple you are looking for lived, for example. The correct way to refer to a princess of the blood in this example is "Marguerite de France" (see http://www.heraldica.org/topics/france/frroyal.htm where it says that children of the medieval kings of France "were called N. de France, and they had no other family name"). Alternatively, she could be referred to as "Marguerite, fille de France" (which means daughter of France).

It's possible that your Marguerite Capet was not related to the kings of France and that her surname (Capet) was just another surname in circulation in France at that time. To be absolutely certain, however, you'll need to check with someone who knows more about this than I do, say for example by posting a question in a Usenet newsgroup like alt.talk.royalty, or soc.genealogy.medieval, or soc.genealogy.french

If there was indeed a Marguerite who was related to the kings of Navarre (and subsequently kings of France), she wouldn't be described as "Marguerite Capet" in trustworthy genealogical sources, she would be "Marguerite de Bourbon". If you want to know more about titles and customs in the French Royal Family, see http://www.heraldica.org/topics/france/frroyal.htm

For what it's worth, I checked Tafel 11 of Schwennicke's *Europäische Stammtafeln* (Neue Folge, Band II, 1984), but didn't find any Marguerite who married a Maupin and who was the daughter of an Antoine. There was a Marguerite (1516-1589) who was the sister of Antoine, Duc de Bourbon, and aunt of Henri III, King of Navarre who became King of France (as Henri IV, in 1589), but she married François de Clèves, Duc de Nevers. At any rate, Antoine, Duc de Bourbon had only two legitimate children, Henri (later king of Navarre and of France) and Catherine (who married Henri, Duc de Lorraine). It's possible, though not likely, that the Marguerite you are looking for was an illegitimate child, but I don't have any information on Antoine's possible natural children.

Finally, I checked "The (French) Royal Family: A Genealogy" at http://www.heraldica.org/topics/france/roygenea.htm, but didn't find a Marguerite who married a Maupin.

Sincerely,

Yvonne

This thread: