FRENCH-L Archives

Archiver > FRENCH > 2008-04 > 1209152559

Subject: Re: [FRENCH] Hugh French of VA
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 19:42:39 +0000

No ties to French from the Darnell lines. MArgaret is not mentioned as
remarring. Don

David Darnall died about 1702 in Richmond County, Virginia. Migration: "Dr.
David" Darnall. In St. Mary's County, Md. in 1686. In Virginia in 1689. "It
being ordered that he and his pretended wife and children remove from the
County". St Mary's County, Md. Apparently in conflict both with Church of
England and Catholic regime of Maryland. Moved to Richmond Co.,Va. in 1691.
Ref: "Darnall, Darnell Family", by Dr. H.C. Smith.

Land: "Vol.16: Deed,"9/21/1693, David Darnell and Margaret(X) his wife, of St.
Mary's Parish, Richmond Co., Va. to Hugh French for 7000 lb. tobo. 600 acres
etc., adjnj land of ----, Mr. Sampson Darrell,--- land lying in Rappahannock
and Stafford Cos."

Ref: "The Darnall, Darnell Family" Vol.1, LDS Library Salt Lake City,Utah.

Ref: Virginia Colonial Abstracts" by Beverly Fleet

Land: Ref: Richmond County Records, 1692-1704, p.251, P.92.Deed.-September
1693. David Darnell and Margarett, His wife, of St. Mary's Parish, Richmond
County to Hugh French of said Parish and County for 7000 lb. tobo, 600 acres,
adj. land of Mr. Wm. Thornton, Land of Coll, Wm. Fitzhugh, land of Mr. Sampson
Darnell, land of Richmond Shipways and land of James Orchard, "being part of a
patent for land lying in Rappahannock and Stafford Counties granted to Mr.
Motts". Signed David Darnell, Marg'tt (X) Darnell. Wit: John Fosaker, John
Carter, Mauser(X) Hubbert. Rec 10 Oct 1693.

Ref: Introduction by Dr. H.C. Smith in "Darnall, Darnell Family"...no record
of when or where "Dr." David Darnall was born. ..."From the militant
Protestentism of David Darnall and the frequency of the Christian names of
Jeremiah and Adam among his descendants, the compiler is led to believe that
David was descended from Sir Jeremiah Darnall, clerk to the Vicar of Dunton
8/5/1580, as shown in Volume 1, Section 1, p.1, and titled Contemporary
Linconshire Darnells.

Children were: Morgan Darnall, David Darnall, Joseph Darnall, Waugh Darnell.

Thought for a while that this Margaret, wife of David Darnell could have
been also wife of Hugh French. But in the VA Col Abs Richmond Co, VA David /
Margaret Darnell sell to Hugh French 1698. This would cancel out the fact
that Margaret could have been a French abt 1685 the suspected date of Hugh to
a Margaret Prosser. Anthony Prosser is named as wit to these sales. Don