FTM-HELP-L Archives

Archiver > FTM-HELP > 2005-11 > 1131886442

From: "Rod Wright" <>
Subject: RE: [FTM-HELP] Windows 98SE Crash, Memory, and FTM--help.
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 07:54:02 -0500

I am a little concerned that we seem to be suggesting that one should choose
between a firewall and a router. Actually, both should be used.

A home network might look like this:

Internet cloud

Cable or DSL Modem
(Single public IP address)

Combination Hardware Firewall/switch/router

___________________________________
| |
Home Computer #1 Home Computer #2
[Each computer is assigned a single, private IP address. Each computer
should also be running a software firewall, and antivirus/antispam,
software]

Note that a router, per se, does very little to protect a local area network
except to hide the private IP addresses. As its name implies, a router
routes the incoming and outgoing signals and shares the single cable or DSL
connection among multiple computers. Note that routers and switches are
similar, but for purposes of this forum may be considered to be equivalents.
Combination router/switch/firewalls provide a measure of protection for the
entire network, but you should not count on it to keep all the bad things
out.

Even with a router/switch as a front-end, it is essential to protect each
individual PC as if it were directly connected to the Internet cloud. Don't
count on the router to do that even if it has a built-in firewall.

Note that all of the above pertains to a home network. Professional office
networks may use a much more complex architecture for protection. But
that's a whole other story.

Rod Wright