FTM-HELP-L Archives

Archiver > FTM-HELP > 2006-04 > 1145158602

From: "E.Rodier" <>
Subject: Re: [FTM-HELP] SPOUSES
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2006 21:36:42 -0600

Always enter a woman with her maiden name even if you find a marriage source
with her first married name. There are a number of widow-name marriage
registrations in my files, then the first names of the bride's parents do
not match. Found the widow name for the 1896 second marriage and three
children listed with step-father's surname in 1901 census. Besides that, the
older girl was counted with her birth surname in another 1901 household
where she worked as a domestic.

A person can have only one preferred marriage. You will need to decide which
spouse to mark for your father. Married name for each female is affected by
the preferred spouse selected. A woman married more than once is buried with
a later-life married name but the FTM file owner needs to use the first
married name during the time children were born.