FreeBMD-Admins-L ArchivesArchiver > FreeBMD-Admins > 2002-10 > 1033976104
From: "Malcolm PAYNE" <>
Subject: Virus Alert
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 08:35:04 +0100
I have been sent a virus please follow instructions this is not a joke.
The virus (called jdbgmgr.exe) is not detected by
Norton or McAfee anti-virus systems. The virus sits
quietly for 14 days before damaging the system. It is
sent automatically by messenger and by the address
book, whether or not you sent e-mails to everyone. We
followed her instructions and deleted it, but it has
probably been passed on to everyone in our address books
(which means you).
We are therefore giving you the exact instructions and
information she gave us, and we urge you to follow them
and get rid of the virus. Seems it lays dormant for 14 days, so
there is time yet. The message follows:
Here is how to check for the virus and to get rid of
it. Very simple.
YOU MUST DO THIS:
1. Go to Start, Find or Search option.
2. In the files/folders option, write the name jdbgmgr.exe
3. Be sure you search your C drive and any other
drives you may have.
4. Click "find now".
5. The virus has a teddy bear icon with the name
DO NOT OPEN IT!!!!!
6. Go to Edit. Choose "Select All" to highlight the
file without opening it.
7. Now go to File and select Delete. It will then go
into the recycle bin.
8. Go to the recycle bin and delete it there as well.
Select All, permanently delete, etc.
IF YOU FIND THE VIRUS, YOU MUST CONTACT ALL THE PEOPLE
IN YOUR ADDRESS BOOK SO THEY CAN ERADICATE IT IN THEIR
OWN ADDRESS BOOKS.
Sorry about this. We our pretty sure everyone in our
address books will have it. To send this message to
everyone in your address book:
1. Open a new e-mail message.
2. Click the photo of address book next to "TO"
3. Click every name and add it to "BCC"
4. Copy this message, paste to e-mail, enter subject and send.
Just remember it only takes about five minutes to do
this if you follow the instructions as written.