FreeBMD-Admins-L Archives

Archiver > FreeBMD-Admins > 2004-01 > 1074899670

From: "Jeff Coleman" <>
Subject: Re: Understanding Districts
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 23:14:33 -0000

I have seen at our local County Archives a map showing the location of
registration districts. The old ones used initially - where Bradford was
XXIII and Lambeth was IV - appear to have been based on the groupings of
parishes used for the operation of the New Poor Law, workhouses and outdoor
relief. The more modern system divided England and Wales into a smaller
number of primary regions - 1 to 11 - and then subdivided by letters to give
manageable areas of reasonable population.

There is detail on GENUKI if you look for Civil Registration or Registration
Districts.
http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/CivilRegistration.html and
http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/civreg/GROIndexes.html

Jeff