FreeBMD-Admins-L Archives

Archiver > FreeBMD-Admins > 2008-01 > 1199467991

From: "Carl Noffki" <>
Subject: RE: Windows Vista and WinBMD
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2008 17:33:11 -0000

I know this is only partially related to transcribing, but it seems to be
rearing its head more frequently.

This is just an educated guess, but if you have UAC control on, vista will
probably block access to c:\program files\WinBMD\Output as it is deemed to
be in the 'system' area and therefore you shouldn't be fiddling with it.
Microsoft trying to be helpful again :)

Is the author of the program on the list ? Is Ian Brooke still looking after
WinBMD ? Does he have any comments on why it isn't currently compatible with
Vista ? It shouldn't be too hard to get it to work properly and this problem
is just going to rear its head more and more as people's XP PCs die and then
get new ones running Vista (for what its worth, I run a virtual PC session
of XP under vista to do my transcribing just to get around the problem!). If
someone has the source code, I'm willing to take a look at it to try and
establish why its not running properly - maybe its time for a .Net version
?, and I'm sure there are other coders on the list that could assist.

Regards

Carl