FreeBMD-Admins-L Archives

Archiver > FreeBMD-Admins > 2009-06 > 1246382656

From: "Sue Barnard" <>
Subject: Re: Can anyone give me a reference to a potted history ofthetranscription of the uk gro bmd indexes?
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 18:24:16 +0100

Vanessa,

I remember that when the Census records first went online, there were
reports of numerous errors, including transcribing "Ditto" as a surname!
I'm afraid it's an inherent problem with outsourcing to a country where the
first language isn't English.

Sorry if that sounds racist - it isn't meant to, but there's no easy way of
saying it.

I too shall now shut up, before I get my fingers rapped for going off topic!

Sue