Freepages-Help-L Archives

Archiver > Freepages-Help > 2000-03 > 0953083170

From: "Leigh Compton" <>
Subject: Re: [FreeHelp] Server Side Includes on freepages?
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 19:19:30 -0600

On 13 Mar 00, at 14:14, W. Wesley Groleau x4923 wrote:

> > Try changing the extension on your file names to .shtml. This tells
> > the server to look for commands in the file. If the extension is
> > .html, the server just sends it out without looking at it, which
> > seems to be happening in your case.
>
> But I don't use .shtml on freepages and my commands work (usually).
> Can't use .shtml on the "index" - or can we?

Here's the low down on .shtml and .html -- on many servers, only
pages with a file extension (file type) of .shtml or .sht will be parsed
for SSI. However, on RootsWeb, every single page is parsed. It's
necessary on FreePages in order to insert the banner code. It's
done on the other servers because "that's how it's always been
done at RootsWeb". Once upon a time, Brian mentioned changing
the rules and only parsing .shtml and .sht files -- however that
didn't become necessary since bigger and better servers were
procured and put online.

RootsWeb supports index.html, index.htm, index.shtml, and
index.sht -- I forget the exact order and it may vary from server to
server. The order is only important if you have two files named
index.* in your directory.

Regards,
Leigh
Regards,