Freepages-Help-L Archives

Archiver > Freepages-Help > 2000-06 > 0960325694

From: "W. Wesley Groleau x4923" <>
Subject: Re: [FreeHelp] Tables
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2000 16:08:14 -0500

> ......How can I
> do the same things without the use of tables?

What things? If you're talking about adjusting margins, and other layout
tricks, some of them can be done with style sheets--but the older browsers
will not get the effect. HOWEVER, the advantage of style sheets is that
while newer browsers get the full benefit, older browsers still get
something usable!

But if you are actually talking about making genuine tables or simpler
formatting tricks, see
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~wgroleau/ideas/no_tables.html
Now that document is not necessarily an approach I RECOMMEND, but it does
show some possibilities.

> While we're at it, is there some way I can have my index.html file
> automatically check the browser being used (and whether or not graphics
> are turned on) and take the viewer to a set of pages appropriate to the
> HTML version that browser uses?

Do a Web search on the topic of "Content Negotiation" and ask the Rootsweb
staff how much of it Rootsweb supports.

> How else can I make my pages more accessible? How else can I make them
> load faster (besides eliminating graphics)?

Take a look at http://www.w3.org/TR/WAI-WEBCONTENT/ - Web Accessibility
Guidelines and http://www.w3.org/TR/WAI-WEBCONTENT-TECHS/ - Web
Accessibility Techniques.

(By the way, I am 90% in agreement with your "soapboxing")

--
Wes Groleau
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~wgrolea

This thread: