Freepages-Help-L Archives

Archiver > Freepages-Help > 2001-01 > 0978888582

From: Elsi <>
Subject: Re: [FreeHelp] server-side includes?
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2001 11:29:42 -0600

At 08:39 AM 01/07/2001 -0800, Wayne Johnston wrote:
>Posted on: Freepages Suggestions
>Reply Here: http://cgi.rootsweb.com/~genbbs/genbbs.cgi/Freepages/Freep/223
>
>The help pages mention allowing a .shtml file extension, which it (I believe,
>incorrectly) says relates to security. I believe the extension is an
"optionally
>required" extension for the web page to have server-side includes. I see
>evidence that server-side includes can be done in our free web pages even
>if we don't use the .shtml extension. But how do I use LAST_MODIFIED to
>show the date the page was last touched? The usual syntax doesn't seem
>to work.

Wayne:

Where did you see the reference to security? We need to get that fixed.

The FreePages server always scans pages for Server-Side Includes (SSI)
since that's how the banners are inserted. You may use the .shtml
extension so that your pages are portable to other servers which restrict
scanning to a subset of pages. However, you can also use SSI commands on
your pages with .html or .htm extensions.

Because of the way the banner code was inserted into the SSI scanning
module, there's some flakiness with the SSI processing. The programmer has
not had time to track down the problem, but we've found work-arounds for
most of the problems.

The most critical work-around is to put each SSI command on a line by
itself and to put an empty comment <!-- --> on the line just above the line
containing the SSI command. Therefore, the "last modified" date command
would be coded like this:

<!-- -->
<!--#echo var="LAST_MODIFIED" -->

Notice that you must include the space before the closing -->. Some
servers will process just fine if the space is omitted, but the
specification does say that it should be there and we've found from trial
and error that the SSI commands are not processed correctly if the space is
left out.

Of course, you can also use the #config command to specify the way in which
the date/time will be formatted in your #echo command:

<!-- -->
<!--#config timefmt="%A %B %d, %Y" -->
<!--#echo var="LAST_MODIFIED" -->

Regards,