Freepages-Help-L Archives

Archiver > Freepages-Help > 2001-09 > 1001326111

Subject: Re: [FreeHelp] Pedigree Chart form
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 06:08:31 EDT

writes:

<< I know you are in the process of trying to get a process worked out, but
when
someone has time I would like to know is the purpose of this pedigree chart
form: to put it there for others to fill out? I can't seem to get a handle
on
the meaning or purose of this page; what it is used for. I don't understand
the
"mail-merge form" what that means. >>

Thanks, Dee, for the interest you have shown in my current web site building
project.
You have probably seen big sites such as World-connect and Kindred
Konnections where gedcoms are posted to the site which people may browse in
the hope of finding others researching the same family.
What I am trying to do is to create a site using the same principal but on a
much, much smaller scale - covering just one Welsh county - rather than the
whole world! The reasons for doing this are 3 fold, an expert on genetics
recently claimed that the majority of Welsh families are related, at most, in
the sixth degree - so there may be a good chance of finding common relations
through such a site; discussions on the local Rootsweb list suggested that
many listers were daunted about the idea of posting to a global list but
would be happy to post to a local list - so there seems to be a call for a
site of this sort in the locality and thirdly, I hope that success on the
local level might encourage more researchers to submit to projects such as
World Connect.
When everything is up and running - what should happen is - that researchers
will post their own family details to the site by filling in the pedigree
chart, the mail-merge programme will process this information and then
publish it on another page which can be searched by others looking for
families in the same area.
The result will be similar to the many thousands of local family search
interest sites which are all ready on the net. The main difference between my
envisaged site and the others will be a small family tree to view rather than
a one line "Looking for John Jones, born Merthyr circa 1850" type entry. (I
also hope that it will encourage people to post the relation which they have
found and not just the ones they are looking for!).
Thanks to Pat's patience and expertise I have now got the mechanics of the
system working - but I still have a lot of work to do to get the finished
product to look presentable. When I have got the site looking the way I want
it to look I will post its final URL to the list for your appraisal.

All the best

Alwyn
PS I notice that your e-mail address is deedovey - as Dee and Dovey are two
rivers in Wales do you have any Welsh connections?

This thread: