Freepages-Help-L Archives

Archiver > Freepages-Help > 2001-09 > 1001339605

From: Pat Asher <>
Subject: Re: [FreeHelp] Pedigree Chart form
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 09:53:25 -0400

At 10:24 PM 9/23/2001, Dee wrote:
>I know you are in the process of trying to get a process worked out, but when
>someone has time I would like to know is the purpose of this pedigree chart
>form: to put it there for others to fill out? I can't seem to get a handle on
>the meaning or purose of this page; what it is used for. I don't
>understand the
>"mail-merge form" what that means.

Hi Dee

MailMerge is a CGI (Common Gateway Interface) script that allows form input
to be sent to you as an email, or posted to a web page. Alwyn has created
a *Pedigree* form which her visitors can fill in, and that information will
then be posted to a web page so others can see it.

Another popular form for genealogy sites is a Family Group Sheet. The
visitor can submit his or her information by filling out the form and the
web master receives it via an email. The advantage of using a form is that
the information is formatted and arranged in the Family Group Sheet, rather
than being sent in narrative form.

Here is a sample FGS:

http://freepages.computers.rootsweb.com/~pasher/fgs.htm

Pat Asher