Freepages-Help-L Archives

Archiver > Freepages-Help > 2002-03 > 1015613638

From: Beth Johnston <>
Subject: Re: [FreeHelp] My book
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2002 10:53:58 -0800

At 09:34 AM 3/8/02 -0700, Paul & Stella wrote:
>Hi again,
> I've been using Netscape Composer to create the pages for my book. I
>have a series of linking page numbers on each page. Presently, they are
>across the top of the page. From the beginning I wanted to put these
>numbers down the left side of the page with the image to the right. Couple
>of reasons - I could put more numbers on each page without pushing the image
>down and making people scroll farther.
> I was told I couldn't do it, and I can't - In Composer. I have found
>out how to do the code for this and IE handles it beautifully. I created a
>test page and put it on site. Looks good in IE. Netscape refuses to let
>the numbers be to the left of the image. It either moves them to below the
>image or puts the image below the numbers. Ugly!
> I've thought about SSI or CSS but I don't think either one of them is
>really what I want. Remember, I have over 500 pages to put up. Lots and
>lots of links which don't really bother me. Not any more! ;-))
> Any suggestions, anyone, other than go ahead and do it "Netscape's Way"?

Stella,

If you don't mind using tables you can make it work in Netscape. Create two
unequal columns and place the number in the first column and the image in
the second. Right-click on the image to bring up its properties, then click
on the image that shows text wrapping on the left (the last image). When
you're looking at the page in Composer it will look all wrong, but when you
look at it in preview mode you'll have what you want. You'll probably have
to play around with the table size and vertical alignment of the cells to
refine the page.

Beth Johnston

This thread: