Freepages-Help-L Archives

Archiver > Freepages-Help > 2002-03 > 1016804206

From: Pat Asher <>
Subject: Re: [FreeHelp] hover buttons not working
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 08:36:46 -0500

At 04:12 PM 3/21/2002, Mary-Ann Vandaveer wrote:

>Dear all,
>
>I tried to add hover buttons on my freepages website but they only worked
>when I viewed it on MS IE offline but not after uploading the site. So I
>thought, it's probably not allowed on rootsweb and created my own buttons
>(jpg's). But now I am having the same problem on another website
>http://www.vandaveer.de I would appreciate it very much if you could check
>and tell me what I am doing wrong. Maybe I made the same mistake on my
>rootsweb freepage. When I access the site (online and off) I see the hover
>buttons and the hover button links are also working but others only see
>grey bars. I would appreciate any suggestions you might have.

Mary Ann,

A Java applet is actually a program that your visitor must download to
run. Like any other file you intend for your visitors to access, it must
be uploaded to your web site, and the link directing the browser to the
file must link to the online copy of the file.

Your code calls the file:

codebase="file:///C:/Dokumente/My%20Webs/vandaveer_arbeitskopie/"

This file is located on your hard drive, so your web visitors can't access
it. Change the link to the location of the file on the server.

When using Java or Javascript, remember that 1) older browsers don't
recognize it, 2) some users of newer browsers intentionally disable Java
for security reasons 3) Netscape implements unevenly and does so by means
of a plug-in, which your visitor may not have.

DHTML (Dynamic HTML) is an exciting web-authoring tool. But, at present,
using it can limit access to your site by many visitors, unless you provide
an alternative view of the page, based on their browser -- which requires
another script <G>

Pat

This thread: