Freepages-Help-L Archives

Archiver > Freepages-Help > 2002-08 > 1028331155

Subject: [FreeHelp] Please help a novice with Validation
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2002 19:32:40 EDT

Hello,

I am having a terrible time with my webpages. I had originally used the
program AOL Press to create my pages and switched to Rootsweb. When I
uploaded my pages it made sloppy html code. I know very little html and am
now trying to learn.

When writing in html code, I don't know whether it is supposed to be written
in upper case or lower case.

So far I tried to validate just my first page at http://validator.w3.org/ and
had so many errors but I have no idea what to do to fix them. It starts with
the message that the element "HEAD" isn't allowed where I put it. I haven't
had the courage to look at the other pages yet.

Since I have started using rootsweb, I have added borders and backgrounds but
the validator says the code is wrong.

I know I have to fix the sizing of the graphic I made using Coreldraw on the
first page and I am also going to completely change my photos pages as there
are too many and they are too large and it's probably a bit tacky. Will
probably completely do away with the scrapbook section.

I don't know the difference between htm and html and which I should use in my
web address. I don't know the difference between my first page:
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~chesapeake/
and
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~chesapeake/index.html
both pages look the same to me and I don't know which one I should use or
which is correct?

I am so frazzled at this point that I really don't know if I should just
delete everything and start from scratch again or use my computer as a door
stop.

Everyone on this list is so very helpful and I would be most grateful if
someone could point me in the right direction to get me started.

Thanks so much in advance,
Dee

This thread: