Freepages-Help-L Archives

Archiver > Freepages-Help > 2002-09 > 1032217186

From: Glenn Holliday <>
Subject: Re: [FreeHelp] Public pages, family pages?
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 18:59:46 -0400

Courtland wrote:

> Glenn et al.
>
> one solution might be to use a password-protected file rather than a
> restricted web.

Interesting thought. However, I don't think that fits with FreePages'
public nature as Pat explained it. Putting the protection inside
the file is probably more appropriate to a file distribution
than to the Web.

> For instance, if you happen to have access to Acrobat 4,
> you can add a requirement for a password for opening and have a selection

I haven't experimented with how the Reader plugins handle those.
But you give up the advantages of HTML.

> Microsoft Office products like Word and Excel also have security options.

Yes, but those file formats are much less suited to the Web than
HTML or even PDF. Office is a very expensive product. I know
very few people who have bought it for home use.

Your suggestions are good ones for a CD distribution such as
Glenn Tuley suggested. Thanks. Security on the Web,
as you say, is not trivial.

--
Glenn Holliday

This thread: