Freepages-Help-L Archives

Archiver > Freepages-Help > 2002-11 > 1036942324

From: "rbmc" <>
Subject: [FreeHelp] re: German Characters
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 09:32:04 -0600

Thanks listers, for all the input regarding German characters, and a few other handy ideas. I was not aware that the ALT function has two codes, one with 3 digits, and another with 4 digits. But, I must admit to being a blind DUH-M-BO, not seeing my own problem. (Maybe this will help someone else). MY keyboard has a factory demo, which is loaded, or attempts to activate, anytime you press the ALT & END keys. On the numeric keypad, the END key also happens to be the digit "1", and the number 1 is part of the umlaut code. Thus, an obvious conflict of what I was trying to accomplish. I am now looking how to disable this demo function, and the ALT xxx or ALT xxxx will work if the code contains the numeral 1.
And yes, searches with spelling variations are common. It never dawned on me til now, that the umlaut characters are also variations. Also, to include these in the "meta name" area. Thanks again.

This thread: