Freepages-Help-L Archives

Archiver > Freepages-Help > 2002-11 > 1038536853

From: "S. Hunter" <>
Subject: [FreeHelp] Re: Freepages-Help-D Digest V02 #477
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2002 18:27:45 -0800 (PST)

>"Powered by Google" addresses the engine only. The indices are separate and
>distinct, and your test result of the "same hits" was no doubt coincidence. Google
>is an independent corporation, while Alexa is owned by Amazon.com. To my >knowledge,
>they do not share index information.

I did a test search with Google, Alexa, and AltaVista with about a dozen different word searches. Google and Alexa returned almost identical search results in each instance (the same pages, in the same order, with the same identifying info) for the first 2 pages of results. AltaVista returned different pages, in a different order and some pages that did not show on Google's first 2 pages. My knowledge in this matter is as limited as yours appears, but statistically a dozen searches with identical results would not qualify as coincidence.

me