Freepages-Help-L Archives

Archiver > Freepages-Help > 2002-11 > 1038678731

From: Elsi <>
Subject: Re: [FreeHelp] Appropriate use of web site enquiry
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2002 11:52:35 -0600

At 09:25 AM 11/30/2002 -0500, Alison Causton wrote:
>Hello, List:
>
>The quoted segment, below, is from the FreePages administrative section that
>set up my (brand new) freepages account:
>
>On 11/26/02 9:26 AM, "" <>
>wrote:
>
>> Your FreePages Web space at RootsWeb is ready!

>> Do NOT upload MP3, zip, avi, mpg, rm, ram, exe or other similar type files.
>> You may not use your account to upload files for downloading by other
users.
>> Your FreePages account may not be used for file storage. Violation of this
>> rule will cause your account to be deleted without warning.
>
>I am writing to the Freepages-Help List, to clarify the meaning of the above
>paragraph.
>
>I am hoping to provide a library of data for other people researching the
>ten surnames of interest to our family, with emphasis on Irish for several
>and English for others, but also with Canadian, US & Aussie information
>after emigration, too. This amounts to a lot of data, and my genuine hope
>is to help other researchers make their way through the maze that is family
>history research. And, of course, it would be wonderful to make more
>ancestral connections!
>
>As an example, I hope to upload BMD index and Census data for most of the
>ten surnames. This amounts to a lot of data.
>
>Will this, and similar indexed data, violate the rule stated in your
>paragraph above?
>
>Thought I'd better obtain clarification before proceeding ;-) .

Allison:

If your data is presented in HTML pages, there is no limit to the amount of
storage that you use. If you want to provide raw files for downloading
(spreadsheets, databases, PDF, Word Documents) then you need to either find
another hosting site for these files (you could point to them from your
RootsWeb site) or convert them to HTML files.

Regards,
Elsi

This thread: