Freepages-Help-L Archives

Archiver > Freepages-Help > 2002-12 > 1039262030

From: Pat Asher <>
Subject: Re: [FreeHelp] Basic Tag; DOCTYPE
Date: Sat, 07 Dec 2002 06:53:50 -0500

At 06:48 PM 12/5/2002, you wrote:
>Hi Listers....
> A few days ago, Alwyn posted a note about tags and stated that the most
>important tag was the DOCTYPE tag. There was a sample tag which included
>DTD HTML 4.01 transitional".
> My question is that when I went to get the page validated, it stated in
>very BIG letters that my page was NOT HTML4. How do I determine what should
>go in the doctype tag? I am using FrontPage 2002 to compose and tweeking
>some afterwards by hand in the online editor. I've never had anyone say it
>didn't work fine. The site is: <.http://freepages.school-alumni.rootsweb
>com/~cnseglem/index.htm.>
>Could someone please take a look and see, or let me know from excellent
>knowledge, and give me a clue what I need to put there?

Claire,

Your DOCTYPE says HTML 4.0 instead of the correct version: HTML 4.01. You
have also omitted the ending > after

You have omitted the forward slash from your closing HEAD tag.

BGPROPERTIES and BORDERCOLOR are proprietary tags. They only work in
Internet Explorer, so will not validate as HTML 4.01.

Pat

This thread: