Freepages-Help-L Archives

Archiver > Freepages-Help > 2003-03 > 1047115051

From: "Barbara Buttimer" <>
Subject: Re: [FreeHelp] Copyright
Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2003 09:17:31 -0000

Jim

Credit for where the information came from is one thing suggesting that I
gave consent is quite another when I hadn't.

On my site at http://freepages.history.rootsweb.com/~grueber you'll see that
I too give credit to Roland Gennerat for information I used from his site.
However I have his permission after asking for it, and I only copied
information about my own ancestors.

While I acknowledge that most of the information on my family history is in
the public domain, Fonceca did not spend years, money and dedication to
extract this information, I did and it is that I am most peeved about that
he/she should use it without a 'by your leave'.

So yes I want the information out there but I would prefer people to see it
on my site, I don't think that that is unreasonable and I would have thought
that someone in the family history fraternity who have no doubt spent a
similar amount of time researching their own history would respect the work
put in by someone else.

Regards
Barbara Buttimer née Grueber