Freepages-Help-L Archives

Archiver > Freepages-Help > 2003-04 > 1051379714

From: "Lindy Newman" <>
Subject: Re: [FreeHelp] Banners and Pop-ups
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2003 18:55:14 +0100

> As Pat has said, somebody has to pay the bills and, like it or not, its
the
> advertisers who pay them on Rootsweb.

I quite agree with that sentiment - someone has to pay the bills, and anyone
offering free web hosting has to cover their costs somehow. I quite
understand that, and I very much appreciate the opportunity RootsWeb has
given us all.

However:- ..... the original small banners I could live with, although
occasionally I found the content slightly off. Even the new HUGE banners, I
could live with, at a pinch, but the sudden proliferation of pop-ups is
unbearable.

>Most (although not all) free hosting services have some sort of advertising
>attached to them.

Since discovering the pop-ups on RootsWeb I have looked into viable
alternatives. There are many free hosters who do not inflict pop-ups or
banners on you as the price for your "free" web-site, and a simple Google
search will point you in the right direction.

>List members thinking of moving to other sites should bare
>in mind that Family History websites can be quite heavy on resources, so
>other free services may not give you the room necessary to host and develop
>your site — and sufficient room on pay-for services might be expensive.

Most free hosters offer you 50-100 megs. Many of them offer free guestbooks,
counters, chatrooms and a host of other services, including technical
support. My personal web site, I always thought, was quite large, as it
encompasses my personal genealogical tree, plus a one name study and parish
record extracts for the East of Suffolk, plus also a Virtual Tour of
Hampstead illustrated with my paintings, plus my art gallery (more
paintings). There are a lot of images on there, and yet much to my surprise,
it only apparently takes up about 17 megs. 50-100 megs should be more than
ample for the average genealogical web site. And even if you require more
space than that, what is to stop you having a couple (or more) of sites with
links from one to the other.

Having got all this off my chest, I must reiterate that I am very very
grateful to Rootsweb for in the past having given me the opportunity to have
a free web site when I didn't know what I was doing, and for the wonderful
free pages help list, which has been prepared to patiently answer and
explain all of my often probably silly and ignorant queries. However, when I
found Rootsweb, it was a private(?) concern, and has since been taken over
by Ancestry. Com, which makes all the difference. Now it is a blatantly
commercial concern.

I apologise to anyone who is offended by this. I am not naturally a
contentious person, but I do feel strongly that this is a step too far.

Lindy Newman