Freepages-Help-L Archives

Archiver > Freepages-Help > 2003-05 > 1052051275

From: Elsi <>
Subject: Re: [FreeHelp] Mailmerge
Date: Sun, 04 May 2003 13:27:55 +0100

At 01:14 PM 5/4/2003 +1200, Chris Mahoney wrote:
>I am trying to setup a submission form as detailed
>http://freepages.computers.rootsweb.com/~elsi/free-mailmerge.html for my own
>website. However, I am having problems getting it to work.
>
>Would someone be able to take a look at
>http://freepages.family.rootsweb.com/~cmahoney/Contact.htm at let me know
>what could be wrong, and how I can correct this.

Adrian caught the error in your FORM ACTION parameter & you corrected it,
so that part of the process looks really good.

You still have an error in your template.

You have this --
ACTION=File: /~cmahoney/family_html/newquery.html

The syntax rule is that when you use the ~accoutID format, you omit the
XXX_html directory. So, your template should read:
ACTION=File: /~cmahoney/newquery.html

Next problem is that you must put a file named 'newquery.html' in the
family_html directory & you must set the file permissions to allow it to be
written to by the script. So, create a file with only the TOP portions of
the HTML:

<.html>
<.head>
<.title>Our Queries<./title>
<./head>
<.body>
<.h1>Our Newest Queries<./h1>
<.hr>

Don't add the end body and end html tags ( <./body> and <./html> ). Now
upload that file to your family_html directory. Using the Freepages file
manager, check that file & choose the "Use with MailMerge"
option. Voila! Your file is writable & ready for people to post their
queries.

I did not compare your input fields in the form to those in your template,
so there might be some straggling problems, but these two actions will take
care of the most of it.

Regards,
Elsi

This thread: