Freepages-Help-L Archives

Archiver > Freepages-Help > 2003-06 > 1054851013

From: "Adrian Furniss" <>
Subject: Re: [FreeHelp] Re: Freepages-Help-D Digest V03 #194
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2003 23:10:56 +0100

Rod,
> Knowing that _sloppy coding_ (no IMG dimension data) prevents
> my browser from rendering the page until the image arrives,
> making the delay even _more _noticeable.

Which browser/version are you using?

It is still a very good advice to specify width & height attributes in
<.IMG> tags, but their necessity continues to expire for ever increasing
number of users as browsers become available, which "re-flow" pages as the
HTML/images arrive and/or are modified via DHTML. I don't recall exactly,
but think this applies to IE v4+and NN v7 plus.

If your browser is of the re-flow generation, then you can't really blame
lack of width/height for slow download/rendering, though clearly this is an
issue with older browser versions. Hence advice to HTML-coders to specify
these attributes still stands.

If your browser is pre-re-flow, then I suggest an update (PC/Mac magazine
cover discs are a good source). Sorry I can't be more specific regarding
browser versions, and my knowledge in this area doesn't extend to other
browsers (Opera, Mozilla, WebTV, Konqueror etc.). I can only assume that Mac
versions have kept apace the PC versions.

HTH
Adrian
Ex Mac-man, now well out of touch.