Freepages-Help-L Archives

Archiver > Freepages-Help > 2003-06 > 1056233030

From: Rod Dav4is <>
Subject: [FreeHelp] Dead horses (ad-ware, delays, annoyances)
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2003 18:04:06 -0400

RW's head-in-sand attitude toward complaints about adware
inteference with page access has led this user to seek ways to
circumvent the adware. It was simple, as it turns out. Adding the server
URLs (e.g. adserver.ancestry.com) to WebWasher's filter list completely
eliminates the ads -- and the delays.
Thus it was easily verified that the servers (or the path) cause the
delays. WebWasher has a check box for each URL to enable/disable
filtering for that URL. Just a few trials of toggling this on and off
and refetching the pages convinces me that your server (or its network
path) continues to have serious performance problems. (This for
FreePages, WorldConnect, and probably all RW pages.)
If RW had addressed these problems instead of trying to make them
out to be non-problems, or user problems, I would have been happy --
well, not exactly /happy!/ -- to put up with the ads occupying real
estate on my screen. By ignoring the problem, RW has driven this user to
cut off all possibility of my usage generating any revenue for them.
So, now my RW browsing experience is much more pleasant: no extra
delays, and my screen is filled with data, with nary an ad in sight.

WebWasher is free for non-comercial use: http://www.webwasher.com/

--
Regards, Rod Dav4is / P.O. Box 118 / Hyde Park, NY 12538 / USA
Genealogy, et Cetera: http://freepages.rootsweb.com/~dav4is/ 346 ancestral & collateral families, mostly 17th - 19th century New England & European roots, total population: 78,000+

This thread: