Freepages-Help-L Archives

Archiver > Freepages-Help > 2003-12 > 1071064233

From: "Hugh Watkins" <>
Subject: Re: [FreeHelp] Help Please...problems accessing my webpage
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 13:50:40 +0000

wrote:

> The link I am having a problem with is:
>
> http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~chesapeake/
>
> When I use this link I get a message stating:
> "Check Back Soon. We're sorry but this area of Rootsweb.com is
> temporarily
> unavailable"
>
> At first I thought that rootsweb was down for maintenance, but then I
> discovered that when I added "index.html" at the end I can access my
> webpage.
>
> I can access at
> http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~chesapeake/index.html
>
> I have not had this problem until very recently, and have not changed
> anything so I don't know what the problem is. Until now, I was able to
> access with
> the first link without any problems.
>
> I would appreciate if someone could tell me what may have happened.
> The only other alternative I can think of is to change my "HOME"
> address on
> all of my pages so that I can link back to the home page, but I would
> like an
> explanation so that I can understand what changed or what I did wrong.

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~chesapeake/

works for me

advice to beginners said every folder MUST have an /index.html page to
stop users having a folder view

like this
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~monfamilies/

Mike Jon is an excellent genealogist but he must have overlooked that
instruction

parent directory is http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~monfamilies/main.html

if he called it
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~monfamilies/index.html

it would close the folderr to casual imspection

http://www.ftpplanet.com/tutorial/ws_ftple.asp?host=
WEB TIP: Always name your 'homepage' index.html.

OK MIke BCC to you

I have only just learnt this

Hugh W

--