Freepages-Help-L Archives

Archiver > Freepages-Help > 2004-02 > 1075850252

From: Elsi <>
Subject: Re: [FreeHelp] upload problems
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2004 17:17:32 -0600

At 05:00 PM 2/3/2004 -0600, Ruth Stephens wrote:
>Hi!
>
> I recently revised my site and uploaded the new product today. I
>uploaded an index page and 2 files, each with separate family histories.
>The index page links to the 2 files, depending on which family you want
>to look at. All the links worked before upload. Now the index page
>appears when you go to the site, but when you click on the links to the
>files, HTTP 404 FILES NOT FOUND appears. Do I need to get rid of the
>separate files and have index, family #1 pages, and family #2 pages all
>in the same file? My site is
>http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~jewishgamaw/ .

Ruth:

You've got a very good start! You've just stumbled up against one of the
differences between the unix systems which run the FreePages server and the
PC. The FreePages server is case sensitive. Your web page says that the
Stevens information can be found in Stephens\index.html but when you
created the subdirectory, you named it 'STEPHENS'. So, how do you fix
this? The easiest way is to simply rename the directory to be 'Stephens'.

You've got a few other errors that you should take care of once you get the
links working:

1. You have the slashes in your URLs going the wrong direction. Windows
users of Internet Explorer probably won't have any problems. Users of
other operating systems or browsers won't be able to follow links or even
view your graphics. Example:

<.A HREF="Stephens\index.html">

Should be:

<.A HREF="Stephens/index.html">

2. Your image references are to your hard drive rather than to the
FreePages server. Example:

<.IMG SRC="C:\Documents and
Settings\Ruth\Desktop\Bigweb\Stephens\Graphics\smalldollsonshelf.gif">

Should probably read:

<.IMG SRC="Stephens/Graphics/smalldollsonshelf.gif">

3. You've put the Code Amber ticker code in the wrong place in your
page. You put it between the <./head> and <.body> tags. Nothing is
allowed between these two tags. You need to move the Code Amber ticker
script just below the <.body> tag.

Regards,
Elsi

P.S. Note that the <. sequence should be changed to < in your web page. We
insert the extra dot in our e-mails to keep some e-mail programs from
executing the HTML sequence.

This thread: