Freepages-Help-L Archives

Archiver > Freepages-Help > 2004-02 > 1076548472

From: Pat Asher <>
Subject: Re: [FreeHelp] non-tiled image as a watermark background
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 20:14:32 -0500

At 05:58 PM 2/11/2004, Sarah Hughes wrote:

>If someone knows a way to get a background to fit itself to the screen, I
>hope he or she will pop up and tell us, 'cause I'd like to know, too! I
>guess the only thing I can think of is to make a pastel-colored image of the
>picture you want, about 800x600 pixels. But then add blank space around it,
>so that you wind up with an image large enough to fill the screen of a
>bigger and/or higher-resolution display. Then if you set the background to
>be centered, the whole picure will show on a smallish screen, with only the
>blank space cropped. And on a big screen, it would be in the middle with
>the blank space showing. The image would probably be such a big file that
>you'd decide it wasn't worth the time it took to download.
>
>I hope this helps, and that someone better informed will set us straight if
>it doesn't!

Hi Sally,

Your explanation is correct, until you get to the part about adding blank
space :) If that blank space is part of the image, that is what the
BACKGROUND tag will display.

A BACKGROUND image is always tiled, starting at the top left. If the
browser display is smaller than the image, the left and/or bottom of the
image will be cropped. If the browser display is larger than the image, it
will tile on the left and/or bottom.

I know of no way to make a BACKGROUND image expand or contract to fit the
size of the display using HTML. Theoretically, you might be able to write
a JavaScript to do it, but thats waaay beyond my abilities.

Pat

This thread: