Freepages-Help-L Archives

Archiver > Freepages-Help > 2004-04 > 1082423448

From: "B.G. Wiehle" <>
Subject: Re: [FreeHelp] re: Cyrillic Font
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 21:12:28 -0400

! I thought the idea of having a text transcription was that it would
searchable by people looking for that spelling of the names. After all,
letters in other alphabets don't match the English or Latin alphabet
exactly.

Another option is to code your page as unicode in the meta tags
<.meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">
and use character codes for the cyrillic letters.

The "Free Online Unicode Character Map" at
http://www.atm.ox.ac.uk/user/iwi/charmap.html
can be used to create short texts in a number of alternate alphabets that
can be pasted into your html.

Unicode's advantage over the windows-1252 or iso-8859 codings is that
multiple alphabets or character sets can be used on the same page.

Since this method uses does not required a particular font, more viewers
should be able to see the texts as intended. Older browsers may not support
unicode but people with those versions have problems with a lot of features
of today's webpages. Any characters not recognized will be represented by
"?" or an empty box shape (depending on the browser they use).

If you try this method, let the List know and we can test the page, giving
you an idea of how well it works.

B.G. Wiehle
Stratford, Canada

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~bgwiehle/