Freepages-Help-L Archives

Archiver > Freepages-Help > 2004-05 > 1085104568

From: qvarizona <>
Subject: Selling World Connect Trees?
Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 18:56:18 -0700 (PDT)

I'm not sure where to send this concern, but since many of you on this list have
trees on World Connect, will start here. This is the link to a page that really has me concerned. http://trees.ancestry.com/owt/checklist.aspx

(If the link doesn't work, go to ancestry and look for the Family Trees link on the select bar near top of page.)

On ancestry.com (our sponsor) I came across a notice of a new
product "One Tree", which will combine umpteen+ family trees and other info "ALREADY COLLECTED" and make them accessable for only $45 for 15 mo. The intro about the new program explains how to have one's tree included, and also warns:

"If for any reason you do not want your tree to be part of the new OneWorldTree service, you must delete it from the Ancestry World Tree database by tentatively May 21, 2004."

I was curious, so clicked on the "try out" box and was surprised to find that my World Connect tree was included as part of the Ancestry World Tree database.

I love rootsweb.com, I understand the need for getting a sponsor, and coming from a long line of entrepeneurs, I understand profit and loss. Still, unless I missed something, this OneWorldTree sounds a bit like theft. I was never given any warning about this, nor was I ever told our sponsor would start grabbing our GED trees without notice or permission. Maybe someone can explain why I'm wrong, or why I shouldn't complain.

Joanne