Freepages-Help-L Archives

Archiver > Freepages-Help > 2004-07 > 1090703999

From: Elsi <>
Subject: Re: [FreeHelp] Mailmerge
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2004 16:21:17 -0500

At 12:46 PM 7/24/2004 -0700, James McVicker wrote:
>The Mailmerge functions no longer seem to work at my two sites below when
>clicking (Submit comments or feedback). I get no error messages, but I do
>not receive the mail's. How long does it usually take for delivery?
>
><http://freepages.rootsweb.com/~mcvicker/>;
>
><http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~mcvicker/>;

Jim:

There's an error in your template. Note that upon submitting the form, the
script posts this response:

The following is a copy of the mail that was submitted.
Subject: Feedback and Comments (Rootsweb-genealogy)

OUTPUT_FORM=
Name: Elsi
E-Mail:
E-Mail2:
Subject: Test message
Date: Sat Jul 24 15:10:38 2004
Msg body:
[ this is a test to see why/how the page is mis-behaving
]
.

On Sat Jul 24 15:10:38 2004, the following message was submitted via the
mailmerge server running on
(Nobody):

NAME:
ADDRESS: @216.87.137.124

MESSAGE TEXT:
--------------------------------------

Since this bottom portion is the final result, there is no e-mail generated.

Downloading your template file (maillist.tmp) I discover that it was not
uploaded as a plain text file and therefore does not have the proper end of
line characters necessary for the script to process the template. In fact,
it appears as a file containing only one line of text rather than a file
with multiple lines.

You need to make sure that you create this file as a plain text file. It
may be easiest for you to do so with WordPad or Notepad instead of your
HTML editor. Then upload making sure to specify text/ASCII as the file
transfer type. You cannot use the RootsWeb file manager since it always
performs a binary file transfer.

Regards,
Elsi

This thread: