Freepages-Help-L Archives

Archiver > Freepages-Help > 2004-10 > 1096688440

From: Liz Ramsey <>
Subject: Re: Freepages-Help-D Digest V04 #293
Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2004 23:41:10 -0400

>_________________________

> Hello Listers;
>
>I need a little help here....please??
>I have created a page using a border on the left, and text to the right. On
>my computer everything appears fine (online too), but my two cousins to whom I
>sent it for "pre online inspection", tell me the text runs all the way to the
>left....into the border.
>
>To avoid the text running all the way to the left, I used a two column
>table....putting the border in one column and the text and images in the right.
>
>Note...
>I am using a Macintosh and they are both on 'those other machines'. Gee!
>Could that be their problem??
>
>Thanks for your help.
>Mikki Judge
>Buffalo, Scott, Iowa
>

>Hello Again Listers;
>Well, I thought I had my problem solved, then I learned I did not. I could
>sure use your help here. Frustration is beginning to set in! :)
>
>I'm using a 'flor alborderbackground'onmypage.Thefloralborderis
>suppose to appear only on the left side, but is showing up on both sides. Also,
>my text is running into the border.....
>on the left side if the browser window is small, and on the right if the
>browser window is large!!
>
>#1.....I don't want the border on the right.....how do I get rid of it?
>#2.....How do I keep the text from moving into the left hand border?
>
>http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~huntercemetery/12345.html
>
>Thanks for your help,
>Mikki Judge
>Buffalo, Scott, IA

Mikki, when you are coding your pages, do you use a resolution of 800 x
600 on your screen? Or do you use 1024 x 768? A VAST majority of people
out in the web browsing world use a resolution of 1024 x 768 now cause
they have monitors of 17 inches or bigger. I know that it use to be that
you coded to a resolution of 800 x 600 but the problem with the graphics
is exactly what happens when you do that. Most bordered graphics will do
that at a higher resolution. So if you plan on coding at the 800 x 600,
you need to use a plain background to avoid that problem.

I discovered this when I took my monitor, which is normailly set at 1152
x 864 to 1024 x 768 and still had the right hand border. Then I dropped
it on down to 800 x 600 and voila, the border on the right disappeared.
I bet your family has their monitors set at a higher resolution. And so
do most of the people out here surfing the web.

If you do not want the test to run into the border, eith code it while
working at a higher resolution, or try preformatting the test, using the
(pre) (/pre) That will force the text into a certain set space. You can
also use the (div align="center") (/div) with the preformatted and force
it into the center. Liz

This thread: