Freepages-Help-L Archives

Archiver > Freepages-Help > 2005-06 > 1118358464

From: Barry Carlson <>
Subject: Search Engines and Site Maps
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 11:07:44 +1200

Hi List

Hugh Watkins has raised a timely subject in his last posting regarding the
Normanton on Soar website, namely - sitemaps and search engines.

Many of us have relied on the Meta tag 'descriptions' and 'keywords' in
order to get our sites recognised by the major search engines. Careful
attention to how you worded the Meta tag section of your pages was often
enough to get your page(s) an elevated position in the search engines
output.

This certainly was the case when I created my website at -

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~bristowe/

Within 10 days of the site going "live" the Google search engine had found
it, and by simply typing "bristowe familes" into the search tool, the site
came out on top. Needless to say the Bristowe name is rare compared with
Smith/Jones/Thompson etc.. The effect of the Google engines intial search
was that all pages linked to the index page could be found by a simple
search using the meta tag description or keywords associated with that page.
That has now all changed, and even the Google search engine will not respond
to the input of uncommon names that are in the text, and which it has
responded to in the past.

The methods now being adopted by Google seem to rate content of sites more
highly based on subject, and when the page was last updated. The affect has
been that pages lower down the tree are now being ignored by the search
engine, and if you really want your site to get a "look-in" then you need to
have Google SiteMap search software installed on the server. Understandable
in a way, it makes Googles job much easier, all the hard work is done at the
hosting site and their search engine just gathers up the results and rates
them.

Hopefully, Rootsweb will come to an arrangement with Google over the Site
Mapping of the Freepages sites. Site Maps, Search Engines and the huge
profits made by the successful search engine companies may see the "freebee
sites" hung out to dry.

Regards
Barry Carlson