Freepages-Help-L Archives

Archiver > Freepages-Help > 2005-09 > 1128130168

From: Pat Geary <>
Subject: Re: [FreeHelp] What part of file name shows to public
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 21:29:28 -0400

>****************
>On my personal computer, the computer company "named" my main directory as
>"valued customer" so that shows in the C pathway on all my files.
>
>In publishing webpages, how much of the root directory of a personal computer
>is shown or can be seen by the public? If I've named a webpage "abcdef.htm"
>will the public JUST be able to see abcdef.htm or will they be able
>to see the
>entire path to where my web pages sit on my computer. (If the public can see
>the entire path, is there a way to rename that "valued customer" part? The
>computer company said no, it is there unless I wipe my harddrive
>clean & reload
>everything.)
*************

None of the files in the root directory of your computer show up in
your address or URL with the exception of the actual file name you
are uploading. So your url or address to the file is going to be
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~yoursitename/yourfilename.html
The url will change with the name of the file. Be very careful when
thinking about wiping your hard drive clean and reloading everything.

pat

Pat Geary
http://www.family-genealogy-online.com/
http://www.rootsweb.com/~vamscdar/