Freepages-Help-L Archives

Archiver > Freepages-Help > 2006-05 > 1147576154

From: Rod Dav4is <>
Subject: Re: [FreeHelp] please explain meaning of these webbot bot markup (2 ofthem)
Date: Sat, 13 May 2006 23:09:14 -0400

Hi,
That looks like some controls targeted to a search engine indexing
'bot. Note that the form for html comments is this:

<!-- XXXX -->

and anything that appears in the XXXX space is ignored by browsers when
rendering the page. Common things that may appear there, intended for
other readers of the file, are:

1. Server Side Include (SSI
<http://httpd.apache.org/docs/1.3/howto/ssi.html#basicssidirectives>;)
orders
2. Orders for indexing robots
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robots.txt>;: (don't index this stuff)
3. Orders for 'bots that detect and report changes, e.g.
ChangeDetection <http://www.changedetection.com/>;: (don't report
changes here)

-R.

--
Regards, Rod Dav4is / P.O. Box 118 / Hyde Park, NY 12538 / USA
Genealogy, et Cetera: http://freepages.rootsweb.com/~dav4is/

This thread: