Freepages-Help-L Archives

Archiver > Freepages-Help > 2006-05 > 1148298354

From: Pat Asher <>
Subject: Re: help with home page WAS > RE: [FreeHelp] Help with how webpage shows up in resources Rootsweb
Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 07:45:54 -0400

At 10:57 PM 5/21/2006, Judy Florian wrote:
>Frontpage won't let you change the extension -- it will say something
>like "If you change the extension, it will ruin your page"

Judy,

File extensions tell the operating system what program(s) can be used
to view/edit the page on your system. If you rename a file and
change the file extension, Windows will warn you that the file may
become unusable. For example, if you have a .bmp (Windows bitmap)
image file, changing the extension to .jpg does not change the
internal coding of the file and make it a compressed jpeg file. It
will still be a Windows bitmap with the wrong file extension and your
image editor may be unable to open it.

On the other hand .htm is the file extension used back when DOS
limited file extensions to 3 characters. In use, it is the same as
.html which 4 character extension is accepted by today's operating
systems. When using FrontPage for MyWebs, however, I assume FP needs
to have file names edited within that program so it can change
related links created by the program. Changing .htm to .html
wouldn't "ruin" the page, just any links Front Page had created
automatically in MyWeb.

Pat

This thread: