Freepages-Help-L Archives

Archiver > Freepages-Help > 2006-05 > 1148763627

From: Rod Dav4is <>
Subject: Re: [FreeHelp] uploading help needed
Date: Sat, 27 May 2006 17:00:27 -0400

Rod Dav4is wrote:

> Pat Asher wrote:
>> At 03:13 PM 5/27/2006, you wrote:
>>> We've been here before: Spaces and special characters are not
>>> actually invalid, per se, but do require special handling and are
>>> best avoided for that reason.
>>> A very few special characters /are/ invalid in filenames, such as
>>> slashes, colon, etc. Basically, if you can create the file on your
>>> PC, it /can/ be uploaded, but certain characters in the name must be
>>> given special treatment.
>> Rod,
>> Special characters are reserved for HTML and scripts. For example,
>> the ampersand ( & ) as a character in a web file name, is invalid.
>> You should use "&amp;" instead.
>> "Mary&John Jones" is invalid
>> Mary&amp;John_Jones is not.
>> It is much simpler to just avoid special characters and spaces in
>> file names intended for web publishing.
As I said: These characters are NOT INVALID in filenames, but may
require special handling, and are best avoided.
Your ampersand example has nothing to do with filenames, per se.
Ampersand is a reserved character in HTML and requires special encoding
(as &amp;) in /all/ contexts -- except, of course, when used as part of
a character entity, such as "&amp;" itself.

Regards, Rod Dav4is / P.O. Box 118 / Hyde Park, NY 12538 / USA
Genealogy, et Cetera:
439 ancestral & collateral families, mostly 17°-19° century
New England & European roots. Total population: 106,200+
"The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up."
-Steven Wright

This thread: