Freepages-Help-L Archives

Archiver > Freepages-Help > 2006-07 > 1152271068

From: "Lucinda Blankenship" <>
Subject: RE: [FreeHelp] search engines
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2006 06:17:48 -0500

The best things I ever did to optimize my findabilty on the search engines
is this:

1. Made sure my pages were all labeled properly with headings, tags,
whatever you want to call them. The search engines find you but what good
is it when your pages are labeled untitled document or new page 1 as
Frontpage tends to do.

2. Put a Freefind site map/seach box on your site.
http://www.freefind.com/

It really helped because they spider your pages and if they are labeled
correctly it helps folk locate your information. When I google my web site
Cindy Blankenship's Family Site I come up first and then also am listed in
about the top 10 spots for one reason or another. I also make sure when I
post things I put my website name on it, such as at Worldconnect. The more
exposure the better. It's like advertising. Google me and see what you
find!

Take a look at my site:

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~cindyblankenship/index.htm

Here's my search box and site map:

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~cindyblankenship/site_map.htm

Good luck! It took a few months for everything to show up the way it does
now, but it is worth it if one lost or misplaced family member finds you
that way.

Cindy