Freepages-Help-L Archives

Archiver > Freepages-Help > 2007-09 > 1190398094

From: Patricia Geary <>
Subject: Re: [FreeHelp] FREEPAGES-HELP Digest, Vol 2, Issue 347
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 14:08:14 -0400

At 01:20 PM 9/21/2007, wrote:
>I need some advice on the structure of my website. I have anywhere
>from 2 to 5 additional names to add to each family surname line on
>both my home page and site map page. Which will make these pages
>very long. I have already divided up the major families into 3
>lines, listing the surnames under each catagory, with a short
>description of the individual and a link to additional information
>on the site map page.
>
>I had thought about linking the major family lines, to individual
>pages, then listing their names etc., with the links to the site
>map. But then again, what do I do about the site map page? Keep it
>the way it is but just longer or what?
>
>I have tried in the past to divide the page into sections, down
>gone back to the standard, and code by hand.
>
>What are your thoughts on this?
>
>http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~hartsookballfamily

====================

Do something like I did on this site http://www.family-genealogy-online.com/

The front page contains a breakdown of the site by surname with a
brief bit of info on that line then a link to the section on that
line with more detailed breakdown and links to each of the pages in
that site. The menu links to the main sections with detailed links to
that section.

You would end up with a listing of the main sections and a link to
that section.

Forward with content.

Hartsook Family Genealogy - with a brief description of content and a
link to that section
The main page for that section would then contain an explanation and
links to the parts of that section

Ball Family Genealogy - with a brief description of content and a
link to that section
The main page for that section would then contain an explanation and
links to the parts of that section

Chaney Family Genealogy - with a brief description of content and a
link to that section
The main page for that section would then contain an explanation and
links to the parts of that section

Your main entry page is then not so long and the viewer can see what
you have and go where. Each section main page would not be that long
with links to the pages within it. A good navigation system would be a must.

The site map could be broken down into mini site maps for sections if
it gets too large.

pat

Pat Geary, Microsoft MVP - FrontPage
We discuss FrontPage and Expression Web