Freepages-Help-L Archives

Archiver > Freepages-Help > 2007-09 > 1190866084

From: "the cohens" <>
Subject: Re: [FreeHelp] Two questions ->Blank Target
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 21:08:04 -0700

Thanks, Pat. I like that first article a whole lot. I generally
figure if something is hard or unfriendly for me, it probably will be
for other people as well.

The extra pages are easy to close in Opera...that is, if it doesn't
crash...as it has a dropdown menu option "Close other windows". But
I'd rather not have to do that, or to answer the popup warning that
asks if I want to allow the popup...it just adds time. I could
reconfigure that, but it's there so I can refuse popup ads.

We ought to email netmechanics.com and chide them for encouraging such
practices without more of a caveat. I figured such a respected site
wouldn't lead me wrong. :o(

On 9/26/07, Patricia Geary wrote:

> Scroll down to the bottom check list and #8
> http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2007/09/27/10-usability-nightmares-you-should-be-aware-of/
>
> It says -
>
> Your links open in the same window.
> Visitors want to have control over everything what happens in their
> browser. If they'd like to open a link in a new window they will. If
> they don't want to, they won't. If your links open in a new window
> you make the decision which is not your decision to make.

This thread: