Freepages-Help-L Archives

Archiver > Freepages-Help > 2007-09 > 1190994004

From: "The Cohens" <>
Subject: Re: [FreeHelp] Search engine enigma
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 08:40:04 -0700 (PDT)

Ron Lankshear wrote on Fri, 28 Sep 2007

> google is only finding 4 of your pages try this search
> >site:http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~thecohens/
> and the Cohens page is not there

No, but in this case, that's because it's not the correct website. In the beginning at rootsweb, I had problems understanding that if I put files in different directories, they would end up with totally different URLs, as if they were independent websites.

By the time I figured that out, my genealogy, family, and computers "sites" had been up a while and indexed at least at rootsweb, so I didn't feel I could consolidate.

The cohen page is at:

http://freepages.family.rootsweb.com/~thecohens/cohen.html

> Here are some ideas from google
>
> http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?answer=34397

Wow! I had looked at the Webmaster Toolbox but hadn't seen this particular page. I'm pretty excited about it. I already have a google accouunt, so it was easy to sign in, register, and validate my site.

I think anyone also wondering why google isn't finding their pages, and wanting to see site diagnostics from Google, should register there and try out the tools.

I see they claim Gogglebot to have last successfully visited my family site Sept 20 or 22 (I don't recall which), even though I have independent statistics recording their sending me traffic on Sept 24. My best guess is there must have been some server problems when they attempted to access my index page on the 26th or 27th, and that I'll have to wait for the next round to show back up again.

I still need to figure out what was making them ignore the detailed family pages. I have now put a sitemap.txt file in my directory, and registered it with them, following their instructions. I'm hoping that will do the trick.

I also wonder how we do the same at Yahoo. When I click on links there, it just takes me to fee-based services.

Ron, your page looks interesting...I have family from England, so spent some time on your site checking out the resources, thank you!

> http://freepages.rootsweb.com/~lankshear

This thread: