Freepages-Help-L Archives

Archiver > Freepages-Help > 2008-05 > 1211998008

From: Patricia Geary <>
Subject: [FreeHelp] Banner Instructions for Validating XHTML Strict Doctype
Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 14:06:48 -0400

To change the banner code so that it will validate if you are using
the XHTML doctype
create a file named "banner_select" containing only the text:

XHTMLNeutral

and nothing else. The file should be a plain text file and the file
name must not include a file extension, i.e. do NOT name it
banner_select.txt or banner_select.html

Upload the file to your misc_html directory.

This will change the banner code for your entire
Freepages account, e.g. family_html, genealogy_html, military_html,
etc. as well as misc_html.

If your system will not allow you to save or upload a file without a
file extension, upload the file with the extension as required by
your system, then rename the file on the server. File Manager can be
used to rename the file without the file extension or your ftp program.

The banner_select file can only include one or the other. It can not
include both
BasicGreen
XHTMLNeutral

So if you want a green background and you are using the XHTML
doctype, you will have to make a decision as to which you want - the
green banner or a site that validates.

I like the gray so I went with it and my site now validates.

Remember , if you are currently using the HTML doctype, your site
should validate with no problems IF your other coding is correct.

Thank you Randy.

Pat Geary

This thread: