Freepages-Help-L Archives

Archiver > Freepages-Help > 2008-07 > 1214961769

From: Billie Walsh <>
Subject: Re: [FreeHelp] Should Links Open In New Windows?
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2008 20:22:49 -0500

On 07/01/2008 Patricia Geary wrote:
> Users also don't like to deal with dozens of
> opened tabs and some visitors tend to quickly
> become angry with the disabled back-button.
> Furthermore, some visitors may not even realize
> that a new window was opened and hit the
> back-button mercilessly ? without any result.
> That?s not user-friendly and that?s not a good
> user experience we, web designers, strive for.

I guess I probably annoy my viewers more than most. If, for some reason,
I decide to have a page open in a new window I warn them ahead of time,
then when they click they get a warning box telling them that it's a new
window, AND then on the page I generally put a notice telling them it's
a new window. If they haven't figured it out by then ........... well
........ tough.