Freepages-Help-L Archives

Archiver > Freepages-Help > 2008-08 > 1217879136

From: Barry Carlson <>
Subject: Re: [FreeHelp] 2 line gap
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2008 07:45:36 +1200

On Tuesday, August 05, 2008 5:55 AM (UTC+12)
Bob Jennings wrote:-

> I have a limited webspace allowance. To make more space I am replacing
> some of the verbose coding produced from M S Word with simple coding and
> using <PRE> to input text.
> I started at the bottom of the page of
> http://www.pearson30.karoo.net
>
> My problem is that I can't get rid of the 2 line gap between the HARBY and
> THOMPSON sections.
-------------------------
Bob

The short answer is that The <PRE> tag has introduced the spacing, and due
to the limitations associated with using the tag, the only way you will
reduce the gap is to do the following:-

The long answer is that what you are attempting to do is doomed to fail.
There are free What You See Is What You Get (WYSIWYG) text editors out there
that would be better suited for what you are attempting. They will create
more code than the simple <PRE> tag will, but their advantage is that you
will have far better control over the display of content on your page and
with only a small fraction of the code generated by the MSO html generator.

I suggest you have a look at http://www.kompozer.net/ and download and
install KompoZer.

The flawed MSO code is a nightmare to trawl through and you are more likely
to get the help you may need by using the web authoring package mentioned
above.

Barry

This thread: