Freepages-Help-L Archives

Archiver > Freepages-Help > 2008-08 > 1218591327

From: <>
Subject: [FreeHelp] Validating pages
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 21:35:27 -0400

I have only 3 pages uploaded to freepages so far. I can save and view and they are fine. I can put address in different browser and they come up fine. When I try to validate with WC-3, there's like 144 mistakes........this is message I got #1 tonight:

No Character Encoding Found! Falling back to UTF-8.

None of the standards sources gave any information on the character encoding labeling for this document. Without encoding information it is impossible to reliably validate the document. As a fallback solution, the "UTF-8" encoding was used to read the content and attempt to perform the validation, but this is likely to fail for all non-trivial documents.

I understand the "charset" is character coding--am I supposed to put something special there, where it says charset= ? Main question is--if my pages don't validate, even if they show up in another browser, are they okay or do they have to be perfect on WC-3 Validation to work on the web?
Thank you all so much, these questions/answers you give are so helpful!

This thread: