Freepages-Help-L Archives

Archiver > Freepages-Help > 2008-08 > 1218815894

From: "Zelda Capehart" <>
Subject: Re: [FreeHelp] FREEPAGES-HELP Digest, Vol 3, Issue 224
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 10:58:14 -0500

On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 2:05 AM, <>wrote:

> When replying to a digest message, quote only the specific message to which
> you are replying, removing the rest of the digest from your reply. Remember
> to change the subject of your reply so that it coincides with the message
> subject to which you are replying.
> ***FREEPAGES HELP & FAQ***
> http://helpdesk.rootsweb.com/FAQ/fpindex.html
>

> Today's Topics:
>
> 1. Guestbook - s.p.a.m (Rosemary)
> 2. Re: Guestbook - s.p.a.m (Barry Carlson)
> 3. Screen Resolution and Page Layout - Part 1 (Barry Carlson)
> 4. Screen Resolution and Page Layout - Part 2 (Barry Carlson)
> 5. Re: Guestbook - s.p.a.m (Rosemary)
> 6. Re: Guestbook - s.p.a.m (Rosemary)
> 7. Re: Guestbook - s.p.a.m (Rosemary)

> Message: 1
> Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2008 10:48:50 +0100
> From: Rosemary <>
> Subject: [FreeHelp] Guestbook - s.p.a.m
>
> Hi All,
>
> I am having serious problems with our guestbook. Over the past couple
> of weeks we have been deluged with s.p.a.m.
>
> A couple of days ago, I removed the form for the guestbook from the
> website, because I couldn't think of anything else to do!
> http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~engcbanb/common/gbook.htm
>
> But it has made no difference!
>
> This morning there are over 15 unwanted messages
>

> http://resources.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~guestbook/cgi-bin/public_guestbook.cgi?gb=5547&action=view
>
> Any suggestions anyone?
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Rosemary
> Northumberland UK
>
> Email:
> Banburyshire Website: http://www.rootsweb.com/~engcbanb/

I once had a problem with spam in my guestbook but no more. First I changed
the URL in the directory online by adding a number. Then, I created a new
page on my website called access page and put link there to my guestbook
page. I did that because I have a link to my guestbook on all pages. This
way I didn't have to republish all pages. I currently have about 120
pages. I have had no more problem with spam mail. Should it begin again I
will just go in and change the URL again. Of course, you have to make the
change in your webpage file on your computer, too.

Zelda

This thread: