Freepages-Help-L Archives

Archiver > Freepages-Help > 2008-08 > 1219280572

From: Barry Carlson <>
Subject: Re: [FreeHelp] uploading
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 13:02:52 +1200

mike john <> wrote:-
On Thursday, August 21, 2008 12:53 PM (UTC+12)

>I have read these messages, and I see nothing that explains the theory
>behind "Passive Mode", This imethod of file transfer may probably ne
>unfamiliar to a lot of Freepages users, So lets have a Dummies explanation,
>it does help
-----------------
Mike

The following is a quote from one of the messages I refered to by Pat Asher
<quote>
FTP requires 2 open channels between your computer and the server to
which you are connected, i.e. a command channel (usually Port 20) and
a data transfer channel (usually Port 21).

Commands such as CD (Change Directory) GET (the directory listing)
and PUT (copy this file) are exchanged over the command channel. The
actual copying of directory listings and/or files occur on the
separate data channel.

PASV mode puts your FTP client in charge of the timeouts for both
channels so that a temporarily idle command channel will not timeout
and abort your connection while large files are being copied over the
data channel.
</quote>

Barry

This thread: