Freepages-Help-L Archives

Archiver > Freepages-Help > 2008-08 > 1219928915

From: "Judy Florian" <>
Subject: Re: [FreeHelp] address not reliably privatized
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 09:08:35 -0400

To my knowledge, LIST mails have always openly displayed posters'
email addresses. I can search on the first addy I ever had and find
my oldest posts. You can also Google a topic you know you posted and
it appears in Google.

You might be thinking of Ancestry's block on addresses for Message
Board posts. There you can block others from seeing your email
address.

Judy

On 8/28/08, the cohens <> wrote:
> Hope okay to post this here.
>
> I just discovered after searching http://archiver.rootsweb.com that
> my email address for some posts to this list are out there in plain
> view, and now accessible to search engines in the archiver altho
> privatized once the post is clicked on.
>
> To test this, I entered my email address to the left of the address in
> google "the.cohens.in.california". And there were lots of email
> addresses out there in plain view, not just mine.
>
> I sent a message to rootsweb but am worried they may not fix it. I
> have just now for a couple day started getting spam email and think it
> is likely to be due to this.
>
> We should be able to count on rootsweb to hide our addresses. Could
> this be due to complications on the new servers? Shouldn't they not be
> feeding our addresses to search engine, or do they only prevent humans
> but not bots from getting the addresses?

This thread: