Freepages-Help-L Archives

Archiver > Freepages-Help > 2008-08 > 1219929773

From: "the cohens" <>
Subject: Re: [FreeHelp] address not reliably privatized
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 06:22:53 -0700

I disagree. If you search a keyword (for me, I used "kasle") in the
archiver.rootsweb.com, the address of the poster is privatized, but
addresses still appear in the text of the messages when people reply
to a message.

http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/search

Rootsweb should be privitizing the search results page for this, and
not just the message pages. I thought they used to do it, I tested
before starting to post.

And on your suggestion, I just viewed html raw source and the email
addresses are clearly there in the message body snippets in the
results page, including the whole address with an "at" @ sign in them,
in the raw html.

On 8/28/08, <> wrote:
> While your email address may show up in a search of Google and elsewhere it
> isn't really "out there in plain sight" for an address harvester to steal.
> Address harvesters and spammers gather email addresses through programs that
>
> read the raw code on a page and not what you SEE on an HTML page.
>
> If you view the source code in the archives you will find that the
> addressses are encrypted in three ways that makes it very difficult for the
> addresses
> to be harvested.
>
> Joan

This thread: